The mission of Friends of FIT is to support families from their entrance into emergency motel shelter to their move to permanent or other transitional housing. Friends of Families in Transition also supports families struggling with maintaining housing or contemplating entry into the Emergency Assistance program. To accomplish this mission we:
• Collect and distribute personal care items including shampoo, diapers, wipes, formula and other child/baby items as needed and available.
• Work with individuals, groups, and organizations to provide emergency food for families arriving at a motel without food or food stamps, coordinate access for families to the local food pantry, provide home cooked meals on a regular basis and to schedule regular trips to the grocery store.
• Arrange and coordinate social events such as holiday parties/ meals, recreational outings, play groups, etc.
• Work with School departments to ensure that children have equal access to education and/or special education.
• Serve as a common point of contact between families and the local and state agencies whose services they need to access.
• Provide leadership and proactively respond to systematic issues and policies that impact families in transition.
• Provide individual family support as needed, including acting as an information resource/ triage agent for families struggling with maintaining housing or contemplating entry into the Emergency Assistance program.